Thursday, January 19, 2017

Mystery Solved

The mysterious case of the missing boxcar has been solved. It was found on the mainline inside the tunnel just east of Nelsonville under the most curious of circumstances.

Actually, I was testing the westbound signal at the east end of Nelsonville when it was found. The westbound signal for the main and the westbound signal for the Dry Fork Branch were installed a while back and hooked up to SBS but without a spreadsheet to control them. This past Tuesday, I wrote the spreadsheet and set about testing the signal. I ran the two SW1200's that serve as the yard engines at Nelsonville east down the main toward the station. Once past the station and the westbound signal on the main, the switchers entered the tunnel to east staging. I ran them in far enough to get the westbound signal to clear to green and then reversed direction. When they emerged from the tunnel, I was shocked to see what's in the photo below.






























As best I can figure, some goofball pulled the Dry Creek Turn out of staging (in the tunnel under the bridge) and then shoved the train into the tunnel on the right which heads toward the east staging yard. When the goofball pulled the train back out, the K&LE boxcar, which would have been the first car on the train, stayed in the tunnel. Let's just say that we all know the name of the goofball.

Actually, I had some problems with the GP7 that was on the train and pulled it off while the train was still in staging. At some point I pulled the rest of train out of staging, but I have no recollection of shoving it up the main into the tunnel. Or pulling it back out. Truly one of the more bizarre occurrences in all of my model railroading experiences. I really couldn't believe the boxcar was attached to the switchers when they came out of the tunnel.

And so, Mr. Miller, it appears I owe you an apology. It's clear that my insinuation that you may have been associated with some type of prank with this car was completely unfounded. This time. Really. I mean it. 

6 comments:

  1. I had a similar incident after my first op session where I was missing a gondola. I later found that it must have derailed and fell off the layout slightly below onto a box stored under the layout. Due to the grade it appears the rest of the train then rolled forward to recouple, meaning no one was aware of the issue. Although no one seemed to mention that an extra waybill was in the stack with no matching car in the train, but I'll cut them some slack as it was the first session!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had missing, or misplaced, car card before, but never missing rolling stock. I guess there's a first time for everything!

      Delete
  2. I think I know who it was who left the Boxcar in the tunnel. I think you do too he has an infatuation with Peanut M&M's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to blame it on Stuart, and he even anticipated as much as he was the yardmaster at Nelsonville during the last session. Oh well- maybe next time!

      Delete